London Metropolitan University UNISON Branch are delighted to report that our very own Claire Locke has been elected as Chair of the London Regional Higher Education Committee.
See Claire’s election manifesto below, which was presented to the Regional HE Committee (RHEC) at a meeting on 12th May.
The May RHEC meeting not only elected Claire Locke as Chair, who stood against the incumbent Liz Baptiste, it also unanimously voted for an emergency motion from SOAS branch to support our branch’s campaign against job cuts.
VOTE CLAIRE LOCKE
I’ve been Chair of London Metropolitan University Branch since 2013 and I’ve been:
- Welfare Officer,
- Shop steward, and previously I held the posts of
- SU Campaigns and Communications Officer
- President of our Students’ Union.
I’ve played a leading role throughout all disputes at LondonMet since 2009.
I believe in free access to education, and positively experienced ‘Widening Participation’ at LondonMet.
I believe ‘Unity is Strength’ – students, academics and support staff working together create successful campaigns.
I’m proud to be Chair of our branch and believe we’ve a lot to offer UNISON in the region because we’re:
- Fighting job cuts yet again.
- A strong branch with many stewards and high density.
- A Living Wage Employer and our cleaners and catering staff are well organised.
- Strong on Equalities: all self-organised groups are engaged in our branch: Black members, LGBT, Women’s – and a Young members’ officer too.
As Chair, I’m about ensuring everyone is engaged and has a role to play.
I pledge to ensure our meetings are quorate – not just the AGM.
Elect me to ensure HE ‘punches above our weight’ in the largest public sector trade union in our vibrant, multicultural capital city.